Saturday, November 7, 2009

America's Health Care Policy

Today the Affordable Health Care for America Act (H.R.3962) is being debated on the House floor.

Skip the commentary, go directly to C-Span to witness this historic discourse.

H.R.3962 passed as amended, 220 to 215.
Now, on to the Senate.
I favor this bill because I have family members who are underinsured (with pre-existing conditions that prevent them from buying better policies).. My own insurance is adequate (at least, so far. I haven't had a serious illness).

Unemployment has exceeded 10% in America. Fewer and fewer America's are covered by an employer-paid health insurance policy. 

Insurance premiums have risen beyond the reach of many Americans.

My personal health insurance policy (paid totally by me) will increase by $98 on December 1, 2009. My total premium will be $574 with a $750 deductible and a 20% co-pay if/when the deductible has been met.. This does not include vision or dental (totally out of pocket expense for me). Because I am healthy, I rarely spend more than my $750 deductible in a year's time (mostly for wellness appointments such as an annual exam). So my cost (not including dental and vision).will be $7638 this year before I receive any benefit from my health insurance.

While I can afford this increase, the next increase in my health insurance premium may price it beyond my capacity to pay.  Then what?

Health care reform is especially important for women. This says it very well,

From YouTube, The White House, The First Lady on Health Insurance Reform and Older Women

From my point of view, a single payer system would be a better system for America. This bill is a step in the right direction. Insurance companies are not non-profit entities. In my opinion, insurance companies exist for their own benefit, not for our benefit.

From YouTube, RunAwayBox, Boyfriend With Health Benefits 

From YouTube, Paul Hipp, We're Number 37 

From YouTube, lessjobsmorewars, Billionaires for Wealthcare

From YouTube, Humanleague002, Billionaires for Wealthcare

No comments:

Post a Comment